Stress. You say the word and people nod their heads, sigh, shudder, walk away, change the subject or expound upon their personal experience with this emotionally encompassing word. It affects all of us yet it's symptoms and treatments vary uniquely for each individual. In our human and normal way we resort to a variety of cures and methods to beat the STRESS. We all know someone who's done one or more of these things, but I thought I'd list them and see what I came up with, also hoping to hear about some other "cures" you may know. (none of them is wrong-my implication here is that we do these things in excess or at the exclusion of other things, meaning we're out of balance.) So here goes; physical activity, eating chocolate, compulsive spending spree, TV, spiritual pursuits, focus on others, decorating and crafts, cleaning, talking on the phone, eating carbs, running errands, helping at the school, dieting, traveling, facebooking, surfing the net, online shopping,....what else?
PS
This isn't a confession! Please share your thoughts.
4 comments:
Oh stress, how I loathe thee! I am one found doing the less desirable ways to beat stress. TV, chocolate and shopping, so the balance thing is something I need to work on. Great post! When you get it all figured out, let me know, cuz I am still too stressed just reading about it. Ha!
I sometimes go on a cleaning spree or organizing spree. Often it means that I pull a workaholic shift on a particular project just so that I've accomplished something with my stress (most recent). However, I am trying to change my habits and go "oh I'm really stressed out" and then go to bed early that night so that I get a good nights rest. A nice long bike ride is also great for relaxation. Reading when I remember I do that for things other than text books.
Hmmm...I really like the "eating chocolate" cure (I just ate a piece of chocolate pie)! My best stress reliever (besides sitting at the beach listening to the waves) is taking a long, hot shower. In fact, that sounds so wonderful, I think I'll go do it right now!
I have to admit that when stress hits I just want to run away and bury myself in chocolate and carbs. But on a healthier note a walking and being outside arfe huge stress relievers for me. I just have to remember to do it. Like Ross it also helps if I can get a project done so I can see some progess happening.
Post a Comment