July 28, 2010
I grew up in a family of 5 girls and 1 boy. My brother was born after I went away to BYU. My mother was very young-in fact-my mother and I are 18 years apart and my brother and I are 18 years apart-you do the math! So, my childhood experience was pretty much all things "girly". I remember the adorable ruffled outfits my mother sewed for me and my barbie dolls. She even made me a winter coat with a beautiful fur collar (what? it was the 60's! Jackie O' style!) I felt special. Things got a little crazy at our house when I was a teenager, and being the oldest, I really didn't get to know my two younger sisters because I was too busy driving around in my boyfriends' 67 Ford Mustang and working two jobs so I could go away to BYU. I've been told I was bossy, to my parents and my sisters...but hey, I've changed, right? Anyway, recently my mother told me that all of her daughters have taught her something about life and becoming a better person. Actually, it really means we're all trying to boss her around, still.
But her comment really caught my attention and made me think. If we can't learn from our children then what was the point? As my children become full fledged adults I have come to treasure their "bossing" or kindly advice. If anyone thought for one moment that I thought I knew all the answers, they were completely fooled. Confidence is action, not truth. It becomes truth when inspired and revealed. Don't confuse those ideas, you'll just get messed up! I need all the help I can get, so thanks! You can boss me all you want!
No comments:
Post a Comment