Yesterday (Saturday), Bryce took out the trash. When he came in he said “you have to come with me right now (very excited like a little kid). I took the meat off the grill and followed him outside. There just behind our house, spreading across the storm clouded sky was a full rainbow. It stretched from the top of Las Sendas over to the southeast towards Apache Junction. The wind blew cooler air than I’ve felt since I was in Utah in July and the dark billowing clouds rolled across the sky. Lightning flashed in the darkest gray areas. Tinges of orange and green reflected in the mists of varying gray colored clouds. From the west whiter clouds tumbled into the storm clouds pushing the storm east erasing the sky a brilliant blue. I breathed the clean air in and shook with awe. My eyes teared as I reflected on God’s creations and how wondrous they are, how fortunate I am to live on this beautiful earth. I thought of Noah and the promise God made to him. I thought of his faith, his commitment and his courage. I cried knowing that this rainbow represented the promise of restoration, of life and that I had claim to that promise. I cried because I’m promised blessings if I am faithful. Thank you Noah!
I over trained for the triathlons and continued to work out when I was in pain. I kept on pushing because I really want to shed some fat off of my body! I realize now that it was a mistake to continue working out without figuring out how to deal with the pain. What’s funny, though, is that I am finally getting fit! The pain (of pushing myself hard) and promise (great reward in the results) is like my life. I have so many great and good things to be thankful for, but I also have problems and stresses to deal with that cloud my ability to see the promise that if I work through the challenges, there is a greater reward. My pain is still bothersome, but I’m managing it now and I’m still pushing hard on the fitness plan.
You’d think after having four sons on missions that I would be an expert at studying the scriptures and staying tuned in…but I’m like everyone else and I struggle with the daily commitment to read the scriptures. I do pray a lot. I should name my car ‘prayer bus’, or write a song about driving along talking to God…maybe I will do that! With the start of the new school year I set the goal to rise ½ hour earlier-PAIN- to read and do yoga. I feel strengthened spiritually through my daily connection with the word of God and I am more centered emotionally-PROMISE. Honestly, though, I need to go to bed earlier-I’m just plain tired by 8:00 pm. Setting goals and working through the challenges of change requires strong effort to achieve the goal-PAIN. I’m grateful for the inspiration and revelation I receive because of my efforts-PROMISE.
This next experience is very raw right now. I debated whether to write about it at all, but I need to put my thoughts on paper to process them better. My dear sister, Barbara, suffers from Crohns disease. Just weeks ago she had major surgery and also found out she has Colorectal Cancer. My pain is so inconsequential to hers. Guilt drives my tears frequently down my cheeks as I am overwhelmed at the cross she has born in this life. This dear sister and her husband have served in a Spanish speaking branch for over 5 years. Like Christ she has befriended and loved those who are different, who are in need and who suffer. She is a mother to a wonderful daughter and a grandma to a beautiful baby boy. She is my dear friend and her confidence and love for me is precious. She is strong and I know that she will endure the pain of her illness and treatment. I can only promise to love her, pray for her and care for her as I can. The greater promise is that she will not suffer in the life to come.
Pain and promise. I treasure knowing that through pain we are promised greater blessings.
No comments:
Post a Comment