"The Rock"
Oh today Sam woke early, so early it seemed,
The sky was still lit up with glowing moon beams.
He stretched and he yawned and he scratched his red
head.
“It’s my birthday today!” and he jumped off the bed.
Sam shed his pajamas and pulled on some jeans.
He threw on a shirt the bright shade of slime green.
He slipped on his shoes, tied the laces just right.
‘Cause when you go hiking they need to be tight.
His Mom had made pancakes, his favorite meal.
So Sam ran downstairs with a cheer and a squeal.
Then dad broke out singing and stomping a beat.
Today is your birthday, you’re in for a treat.
I’m taking you hiking Mt. Lemon today.
We’ll climb and we’ll talk and explore on the way.
“I think it’s the best birthday I’ve ever had,
‘Cause I’m going hiking, today with you, Dad.”
Then mom hugged her son and they all clapped their
hands
This birthday is special it’s really quite grand.
Anapestic Tetrameter
Made famous by Doctor Seuss
Employs a scansion pattern of four sets of unstressed, unstressed, stressed (sometimes eliminating the first unstressed beat)
|
x
|
x
|
/
|
x
|
x
|
/
|
x
|
x
|
/
|
x
|
x
|
/
|
1 comment:
Ah... this is why I enjoyed the rhythm so much, I read many books to my children by the great and wondrous Doctor Seuss with the same kind of beat.
I enjoyed Sam's birthday morning as much as he did!
Post a Comment